Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) Food Benefits
- The sole role of School Food Authorities (SFA’s) in the Pandemic-Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT) program is to provide the state agencies administering the program data for eligible students. In this case, Office of Food ~ Nutrition Services (OFNS) acts as the School Food Authority (SFA) for all schools served by DOE’s food service program.
- All students enrolled at schools receiving breakfast or lunch from OFNS under the School Breakfast / National School Lunch programs are eligible for P-EBT benefits
- This includes all schools so served – public, charter and non-public.
- All students enrolled at schools offered such meal service are eligible because our entire SFA is under the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP)
- OFNS – like all other NY SFA’s – will provide data to the New York State Education Department (NY SED)
- SED will forward student data to the agency administering this program, the New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (NYS OTDA).
- OTDA is administering this program directly to all beneficiaries
What are P-EBT food benefits?
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act of 2020 authorized the payment of P-EBT food benefits to households with children who would have received free or reduced-price school meals under the National School Lunch Act, if not for a school closure. These temporary food benefits are to help cover the cost of meals children would otherwise would have received at school.
Do my child/children qualify for P-EBT food benefits?
If your child/children receive free or reduced-price school lunches, then they are eligible to receive P-EBT food benefits for the days their school was closed due to COVID-19. This includes all children attending Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) schools where all children receive free or reduced-price school lunches.
Do my preschool age child/children qualify for P-EBT food benefits if they were receiving free and/or reduced-price meals?
Children ages 3 and 4, who attend pre-kindergarten and who receive free or reduced-price lunch are also eligible to receive P-EBT benefits. More information about when and how to access their P-EBT food benefits will be mailed to you. Begin checking your mail for this P-EBT notice beginning in mid-June.
For full details on the program , please see here