Homeroom: Grade 5
Science: Grades: 4 through 8
STEM: Grades 4 through 8
Religion: Grade 5
Second Trimester Science Curriculum 2020
- Changes on the Earth’s Surface and the Impact of Natural Processes
- How do Earth processes, natural forces, and organisms change land over time?
- How can people affect the impact of natural processes and resources
- Volcanoes, Earthquakes, Rock Formations, Fossils
- Erosion by wind, rain, ice or vegetation
- Transfer of Energy and Information
- Essential Question: How do we know energy is conserved as it is transformed from one form to another?
- Sound and Light energy, magnetism, electrical currents
- Stars and the Solar System
How far away are the stars?
- Comparing the Sun to other stars
- Positioning of Earth and other planets from the Sun
Earth’s Systems Science
Where does rain come from?
- Matter is made of particles too small to be seen
- How do the geosphere, biosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere interact?
- Water sources on Earth
- Engineering and Energy Transformations
How can we minimize or maximize the transfer of heat?
- Chemical and Physical Changes
- Thermal Energy Transfer
- Matter, Mass and the changes in temperature in matter
- Electricity and Magnetism
How does energy flow through electrical systems and magnetic fields?
- Factors that determine the strength of a magnetic and electrical force
- Objects exerting force on each other
- Energy can be transferred by electric currents
- Structure and Properties of Matter
How do properties, such as density, help us to classify and identify matter?
- Atomic composition of simple molecules and extended structures
- Effects of thermal temperature on the motion of molecules
- Measuring mass, density and volume
- Analyzing physical changes in matter
- Changing Properties of Matter
How do we know if a chemical reaction has occurred during cellular processes such as photosynthesis and cellular respiration?
- Identify properties of substances before and after chemical changes.
- Use of synthetic materials
- How is mass conserved during chemical change
- Chemical changes in food to release energy
- Energy, Forces , and Motion
How do Newton’s Laws help us to better understand the impact of collisions between two objects?
- Newton’s Laws of Motion
- Gravitational interaction and mass
- Kinetic energy
- Earth’s Place in the Universe
What would happen if gravity did not exist?
- Gravitational interaction among masses
- Lunar phases, eclipses of the Sun, Moon, and the seasons
- Motions in the galaxy and solar systems
- Properties of objects in the solar system